[Server-devel] Server Admin Interface

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 15:07:18 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Ivan Krstić
<krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
>  The Ubuntu Server team is now working on integrating eBox (<http://ebox-platform.com/
>   >) to provide similar functionality; it might be worth exploring in
>  the XS context.

Interesting - I didn't know about e-box. I concur on Webmin being
broken, but even if it wasn't (and I'll assume e-box is a non-broken
Webmin), the idea of needing relatively technical administration of
the server seems like a no-go for me. Even UIs like Fantastico will be
way beyond what our users can be expected manage.

And frankly, we don't need all those knobs.

There's a long road for me to walk, but I would like to think that we
can make the XS behave like a self-configuring appliance, with a very
small set of options. In other words, I want to avoid having to
"localize" impossible terms like "firewall".

A couple of things will probably frustrate our efforts in that aspect
-- like upstream connectivity options and debuggging. The shorter we
make that list, the more use schools will get out of the XS.

cheers,

martin