[Server-devel] Nepal Project Management Updates and Questions

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 09:27:24 EST 2008

Hey Greg, great questions. I will do my best to answer them

Quick update on what Sulo, Dev, and i did this week. We spent much of our time
trying to understand how the various services on the XS work and how they work
together w/ the XO. We learned a lot but didn't get that much accomplished in
terms of building a working XS. We struggled w/ getting Moodle to run on the
XS, couldn't pass traffic b/w our 2 active antennas, and couldn't get XO's
to pass traffic for other XO's.

1. Nope, I need to add URL's to the content

2. The target deployment image for the XO will be the image loaded w/ activities
for each grade. For example, we need to load the EPaati Nepali
activities and activities more appropriate to the grades we are piloting
at (2 and 6). There are far more activities than can fit on a single XO.
We will create a custom image w/ the activities we think are
class-appropriate, like GCompris and SimCity for the younger kids.
SocialCalc, Measure, etc. for the older kids

We should probably have our own tree w/ our custom images

3. I need to make a fuller list of test cases.

4. Decisions on redundancy. Will try to get to this later this week.

5. Nepali script should be part of the stock xo image. I will need to
check w/ Sulo on this.

6. We need a tree on dev.laptop.org for the XS config. I am quite
confident that our dansguardian, Squid, and backup settings will differ
from what Proyecto Ceibal is doing.

7. Don't know the status of Squid. will have to check w/ Sulochan.

8. The mesh is running but not doing some of the things we would like it
to, such as pass traffic b/w mesh antennas and XO's pass traffic for
other.

Frankly, XS team here is pretty behind. We aren't super linux admins and
it is taking us some time to come up to speed on the XS and the XO's.
We'll get there though and thanks for pushing us.

Also, thanks to Wad and others at OLPC for their never-ending patience
w/ our many questions.

Finally, here are the two areas Tony can really help us w/

1. Backup scripts for the XO's and the XS
  a. backup the student's data to the server. There is some stuff in
  b. backup the XS across the network, possibly w/ rsync or rdiffbackup
2. Installation and configuration for dansguardian. We haven't gotten
around to working w/ this yet.

Hope life is good in Newton. Kathmandu is beautiful but we only have 14 hours of
electricity per day! it is very annoying.