[Server-devel] location and muscle of the school server

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 10:00:51 EST 2008

Sameer ji,

You make a good point. We have only have 14 hours per day of electricity
in Nepal so the issue of power is very acute for us.

A school server that caches websites, serves up Moodle pages, serves as
a mesh portal for the mesh network, and does some kind of content
management will definitely be a power hog compared to the XO.
Additionally, it will require a lot more maintenance than the XO's.  I
am confident that kids and locals will be able to repair the XO's but I
doubt many communities (at least in Nepal) will have local people w/ the
Linux skills to manage the School Server.

We are considering centralizing many aspects school server for our fall
deployment. Our Networking guy, Mahabir Pun, has had a lot of success
connecting rural villages to the Internet w/ long haul point-to-point
wireless links that connect to the nearest city. He places a caching,
e-mail, and voip server in the city. This works because the wireless
links are high-speed and quite stable.

We intend to put the servers on site for our April pilot but we may
centralize them later.

Centralizing servers won't work well if bandwidth to the schools is
limited and/or expensive.

As a side note, in Nepal we will try to avoid satellite Internet
connections wherever possible. The monthly bandwidth costs are just too
expensive over time. Comparatively, long-haul wireless links w/ cheap
equipment from Motorola, Microtek, or Ubiquiti are much more
cost-effective.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Systems Engineer