[Server-devel] mesh network

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed Feb 20 11:37:42 EST 2008

Sulochan,
     Ricardo is one of the people developing and testing the mesh for
OLPC, and he
is already helping you.

If you can't hop from XO to XO, it sounds like your problems are not
in the school server.
What channel are you using ?    Are you sure that both laptops and
the server are on the
same channel ?    Are there any other 802.11 networks in the area ?
What channel are they on ?

What does ifconfig and iwconfig report on all three machines ?

The networking on the XS side is best described by:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/
XS_Configuration_Management#School_Specific_Configuration

Outside of setting a few special bits in the Active Antenna interface
to get it to act as
a mesh portal, the setup is a standard networking gateway.  Those
bits used to be set by:
/etc/init.d/olpc-mesh-config
http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/xs-
config;a=blob_plain;f=fsroot.olpc.img/etc/init.d/olpc-mesh-
config;hb=HEAD
(and still are), but they are primarily set by a udev script
(enabling hotplug of the active antennas):
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-olpcmesh.rules
http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/xs-
config;a=blob_plain;f=fsroot.olpc.img/etc/udev/rules.d/10-
olpcmesh.rules;hb=HEAD

If your fwt_list doesn't show any other mesh nodes, start there...

John