[Server-devel] Access denied by Squid

Tony Pearson tpearson at us.ibm.com
Mon Feb 18 02:36:07 EST 2008

Adrian,
Thanks.  I am sure it is something simple that I just don't see.

First, I made a few diagrams.  Sorry, this is sloppy graphics, did not
have time to clean them up.

This first one is the proposed Build 1 as I understand it.  I left out
details like IP addresses.
http://www.990tony.com/olpc/olenepal-build1.jpg

The second one is my test config.  I only have two computers to work with,
and right now I have
one set up as squid server, and the second as the schoolserver.  I can
probably buy a third
for a few hundred bucks if we need.  Otherwise, I can just try to make
things work with just two.
http://www.990tony.com/olpc/tony-build1.jpg

Note that instead of a hub for the yellow zone, I am just using a
cross-over cable, directly
from Squid-Eth1 over to SchoolServer-eth0.

So, on the "Squid" box, this will be for:
(a) Caching content (/library/cache)
(b) Any fixed library content hosted by Apache
(c) Dansguardian to filter inappropriate sites
(d) firewall from outside intrusion

/etc/squid/squid.conf file is located here:
http://www.990tony.com/olpc/squid.conf
I removed /etc/httpd/conf.d/squid.conf and /etc/squid.conf
Apache is running with just the default test page.  Dansgaurdian not yet
installed.

On the XS Schoolserver:
(a) Apache, PHP, MySQL and Moodle
(b) No squid, or perhaps reverse proxy (caching Moodle pages?)
(c) There are also caches for PHP and MySQL that might improve performance
(d) Active Antennas.  I have one, msh0 running at 31.07 firmware level as
required.