[Server-devel] Supporting OLPC School Servers with LAMP Stacks

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 20:20:55 EST 2008

Tony, Yama,

(unsure who wrote each bit ;-) )

>  My take is on the content side.  I am very happy someone will figure out
>  the hardware & major software issues, like LAMP
>  I am convinced that most OLPC deployments will happen with little or no
>  actual access to the internet

I agree - a lot of them will have little or no access. Might get
regular content updates in CD/DVD/usbflash format.

>  approach to hardware issues very interesting.  Yet the next problem I
>  see is in content, content management, content access.  In my mind see a
>  Wikipedia copy on the server, and a wiki that OLPC users can access and

it's definitely in the plan. First we need the software part, and it
does include mediawiki. Other people in the project are looking at
scripts to extract "cuts" of wikipedia and deploy them on the XS.