[Server-devel] Nepal Server Open Issues

sulochan acharya sulochan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 01:45:55 EST 2008

> Nepal team - here are a few questions, suggestions and decisions needed:
> 1 - Need to decide ASAP if we will deploy the new XS image or the
> current one. Also, please confirm if we have two XS boxes in the school
> or one.

>>Yeah i think we are going to use two XS boxes in each school, for
redundancy purpose as proposed by Tony and others.

> 2 - I suggest that people try upgrading their XS to the latest image and
> take notes on how its done. Even if we deploy OLPC_XS_150.iso it helps
> to have docs on to re-image. We want to know what Nepal or user specific
> content can be preserved. We may also want to upgrade modules one at a
> time. Does anyone know of docs or best practices on upgrading whole
> boxes or by components for LAMP servers?

>>The latest stable built is 150, and yeah we can update modules through
yum.

> 3 - Need closure on SSO. Pending Martin's comments on the applicability
> of the existing paradigm, you should pick a solution. Sounds like John W
> suggests no user tracking or possibly one of the work arounds.
> See item 3 at this link for proposed workarounds:
> If it's a workaround we better clarify which right away.

>>I dont see SSO working anytime soon. It would be great to have it, because
it would solve quite a few auth problems. If Ivan can make it work great,
but we should not depend on it at least fot the test phase.

> 4 - Based on SSO decision you need to confirm what kind of Moodle
> interface and services will be in phase 1. My main question is if we
> will use Moodle to access activities.

>>Needs testing. Will update later.

> 5 - On the school network. Can you confirm if we can get 2 x router +
> wireless Access points per XS? We need to flush out the failure cases
> and the available HW will have a big effect on that. Let us know what HW
> is in place. If ts just a matter of buying a few Linksys routers, I
> think we can find a way to do that.

>> The network structure might be a little different. Please take a look at
the attached file and let me know what you guys think.

> >>Moodle does not handle IP based authentication.

>>I am attaching a file that shows cache and xs structure for the pilot. I
think its a good idea to run proxy and content on different machines. On a
long run it becomes more efficient to do it like that. It also reduces
content handling and traffic processing on the XS. What do you guys think?