[Server-devel] Thoughts on redundancy

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 15:28:42 EST 2008

Tony,

Great ideas on redundancy. I have put them on the wiki

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nepal:Redundancy

Here are some ideas I have on the questions you raised

> LS fails -- students have access to local activities, XS moodle >
lessons,
> and internet, and whatever LS content cached on XS server

We could run a script ahead of the first day of school that locally
caches the library content on the XS. There likely will be some but not
a ton of content on the library by April 13th (first day of school).

Also, we should have a live back up Library Server that mirrors the
production library server

> ISP fails -- students have access to local activities, XS moodle
> lessons, and whatever LS/Internet cached content on XS server
        What is ISP providing for "Service Level Agreement".  Can they
> resolve this in a single day or two?

The ISP's in Nepal are actually pretty reliable. ISP access will likely
be donated along w/ volunteer support. They should be able to resolve
issues quickly __for this pilot__. For broader implementation we will
need service level agreements and dedicated support, be it volunteer or
paid.

An issue that I am concerned about: What if the mesh network crashes? I
heard this happened in Mongolia and it is still not totally resolved. We
need a way to fall back to non-mesh networking very quickly.

> AA1 fails

Don't know how many clients an active antenna can support. Need to
figure that out