[Server-devel] XS 0.5.1-dev03 with ejabberd goodness, kernel bling, Access Point workingness... looking for xmas testers

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 11:57:10 EST 2008

2008/12/31 David Leeming <leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb>

> I want to do a new install but can you let me know if I can install Samba
> and how to set up access to a shared folder on a Windows PC on the LAN as I
> have a large content collection and it takes ages to copy it all again by
> flash drive. Or maybe there is a better way to do it.

I was curious about that, too, so I looked into other alternatives as Samba
can sometimes be a pain to configure.  It's also yet another service to run
on the XS.

I found an sshfs utility for Windows called Dokan.  And it's free for
non-commercial purposes!  This might make more sense than fooling with
Samba, especially if you only have one Windows machine to deal with.

The Dokan library and Doken SSHFS packages are at
http://dokan-dev.net/en/download/.  I also had to install the Microsoft
Visual C++ package mentioned on that site, the .NET Framework (which was 55
MB), and Windows Installer 3.1.

There's a nice GUI to enter in your ssh login info and mount points.  I
connected and now /home/anna on the XS is mounted read/write on N: on an XP
machine.

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham