[Server-devel] stability of XS 0.5

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 13:07:53 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Anna <aschoolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it work to install XS 0.5 to an SD card, then run that script to
> customize the kernel and olpc.fth so it boots up on the XO?  And how would
> networking work?

It should work but I haven't explored the practicalities of it. You're
welcome to play in this area!

Networking-wise, the laptop has a libertas device that appears to the
OS exactly like an Active Antenna, so the XS OS will spot it and
configure it to be the 'school mesh' antenna.

That means that we're missing the WAN port, mainly. I think (and
hope!) that if you plug in a USB-ethernet adapter (any that F9
supports), it'll be taken as eth0, and you're good to go if the school
has dsl or something similar.

Most linux-supported "G3" (CDMA?) usb modems will also be autodetected
-- configure ppp with the ISP-supplied details and run. This could be
improved quite a bit to remove the need for local configuration --
take a usb stick with a predefined file with the ppp configuration,
and autoconfigure a ppp0 device to automatically come up (and stay
up).

It should do something similar with a USB ext HD - use it for /library ...

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com