[Server-devel] XS 0.5 Second Attempt at eth1

Reuben K. Caron reuben at laptop.org
Fri Dec 5 10:34:31 EST 2008

Now that I have DHCPD running on a clean install. I can report that it
still does not hand out IPs. When I assign my laptop ethernet adapter as
172.18.96.1 and 172.18.0.1 I do get an ARP error from the server;
however, when I bump it up one address 172.18.0.2 it still does not ping.

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> Anna wrote:
>>
>>> So, what are the repercussions of this?
>>>
>> Not sure... Martin?
>>

> Good sleuthing! Bonding-related errors was the last thing I'd
> imagined, and with the e1000 driver too -- it's widely used and
> generally well maintained.
>
> Anna, what's your NIC? Ideally, we want to know the marketing
> make/name/model and what lspci reports for it. Perhaps I can get my
> hands on the same hw you have.
>
> Googling a bit for e1000 and bonding to see if there are any known
> issues I see quite a bit of traffic back in 2006/2007 with e1000
> devices coming up / powering up late and confusing the bond drivers
> and sometimes bad performance. But nothing current, it looks like it
> got sorted out.
>
> What's your other NIC? If you run xs-swapnics (and swap the cables
> too), do things work better with the bonding configuration we're
> shipping?
>
> Also - I'm trying to think this through - I am fairly certain that one
> of the test machines in Wellington has an e1000 and it worked
> correctly for me (with a crossover cable to the AP).
>
> cheers,

Reuben K. Caron
Country Support Engineer
One Laptop per Child