[Server-devel] Pungi minimal installer, comps.xml trick

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 30 07:45:49 EDT 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Robin Norwood <robin.norwood at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I do need anaconda to run the install :-) Anaconda knows how to run a
>>> pure text installer if it doesn't find its graphical deps. But the
>>> package pulls them in anyway, and pungi isn't smart enough to trick it
>>> :-)
>> Ok, yes, I was confusing what gets installed on the install disc with
>> what gets installed on the server!  So as far as the stuff installed
>> on the server goes, is GNOME or X even needed?
>
> A sizable part of the problem lies with Anaconda pulling in the X
> toolchain. Have a look at the spec file here:
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/anaconda/F-9/anaconda.spec?revision=1.681&view=markup
>
> - scroll down to %ifarch %livearches to find Zenity and
> desktop-file-utils. Around that area I spot, gnome-python2-gtkhtml2.
> IIRC, system logos also brings in some -theme dep that wants all of
> gnome with it.

Bingo, system-logos is needed by grub and isolinux, have a package that
supplies system-logos, currently supplied by fedora-logos.... X and all.

Just fake out the system-logos dep, then the problem should go away or
replace the boot splash with something else, XS splash screen anyone?

> There are 2 strategies that come to mind - rebuild the anaconda rpm
> with a doctored spec file with more humble deps is one; creating a
> dummy package that 'provides' all the deps we want to fake is the
> second (possibly cleaner) path. We can host that dummy package in a
> dummy repo used only at pungi invocation time, and make double sure
> that it doesn't get installed.

Satisfy the grub dependence of system-logos and you should be good to go.

Jerry