[Server-devel] Aternative setting for eth0 on servers that are not #1

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 00:00:17 EDT 2008

Hi Wad,

now that I am revamping the networking setup, the 'secondary servers'
may only have eth0. It makes sense to set them with their main address
on eth0 rather than on eth1.

Agree/disagree? What would you use eth0 for on those machines?

We are talking about the multi-server scenario depicted in

  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Configuration_Management#Large_School_Scenario

[As a sidenote, I may also add an option for single-nic server 1 roles
where the sysadmin may want the only NIC available to be LAN. This is
relatively easy to do, shift the MAC addr in the udev rules file -
eth0 will fail to come up, but that does not affect any service. ]

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com