[Server-devel] Network transparent XS services - limitations and alternatives

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Wed Aug 27 00:41:46 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 07:53:19PM -0400, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Network_principles#Disconnected_operation is
> >> a principled means to substitute unavailable resources in the offline
> >> case.
> >
> > The solution you suggest has problems, and I mentioned them in my
> > previous email. Have you got any light to shed on them?
> a) Don't lie about DNS entries when you are connected.
> b) When you are disconnected, use a DNS server which allows you to map
> names to short lifetime addresses, then serve resources for those
> addresses.

Maybe I don't understand the big picture, but just a & b seem
unworkable. Here is the use case:

Here I am in India with a wireless CDMA connection that typically
provides 50 kbytes per sec with 500ms latency. This is not fast enough
to olpc-update laptops from Cambridge. I must use xs-rsync, connected or
not connected. Or I must use a USB key. In the long term, I prefer to
use xs-rsync because of the promise of automatic updates to a large
number of laptops.

So here is a network service which must use the XS regardless of the
status of the internet connection and which should not interfere with
users browsing the internet or XS internet cache.

American? Vote on the National Initiative for Democracy, http://votep2.us