[Server-devel] Network transparent XS services - limitations and alternatives

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Aug 26 19:53:19 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Network_principles#Disconnected_operation is
>> a principled means to substitute unavailable resources in the offline
>> case.
>
> The solution you suggest has problems, and I mentioned them in my
> previous email. Have you got any light to shed on them?

a) Don't lie about DNS entries when you are connected.
b) When you are disconnected, use a DNS server which allows you to map
names to short lifetime addresses, then serve resources for those
addresses.
c) Don't try to provide services you can't.
d) HTTP is one of the services you clearly can.
e) rsync is also surprisingly amenable, for niche uses.

Maybe we should reboot this discussion.

> I also asked a
> few questions around points where you are saying that I "should know
> better".

You said, "Will we never care for end-user privacy?"  I said you
should know better: we clearly do.  That's irrelevant to the
HTTP-vs-HTTPS issue.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )