[Server-devel] Network transparent XS services - limitations and alternatives

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Aug 26 19:28:42 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Network principles is a nice statement of desired ideal network
> topology. Which we may implement one day - but I am delivering a
> network topology and the _main source of XO services_ on a very  tight
> timeframe and with no room for pie-in-the-sky stuff. Simple, proven,
> effective, easy to implement.  That is the only game I can afford to
> play.

That's a nice rhetorical trick.  And wrong.

You are wasting your time when you reimplement multiple services "this
cheap way" instead of simply biting the bullet and properly
implementing the general solution.  Further, these solutions (such as
masking wiki.laptop.org) are far more brittle than just doing things
Right!  I'm tired of putting up with crap solutions.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Network_principles#Disconnected_operation is
a principled means to substitute unavailable resources in the offline
case.

As I wrote before, I do not think we should ever be masking DNS in a
connected scenario.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )