[Server-devel] Ubuntu XS To: Michael Stone

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 15:23:45 EDT 2008

Hi Pia,

Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation.

I don't know too much about the Uruguay Debian server implementation.
They are time constrained in the core Latu team (e.g. Emilano) so not
likely to answer generic questions.

That is all volunteers but the people there know the Latu team and can
probably get details on what they run on their XS, if needed.

The main challenge with using Debian or something besides Fedora is that
you would have to install and support the code separately.

For example, I believe that Uruguay uses their XS for routing, filtering
(possibly with Dansguardian), maybe caching with Squid, probably NAT.
Basic gateway server stuff. If that is all you need and Debian has it
ready then it should be no problem.

However, if you want eJabberd (collaboration SW) or XO updates off XS or
some other custom thing built by Martin and team, then you may have
extra work.

HTHs.

BTW Tony did make a triple boot server which boots to XS, Fedora or
Debian for the EduBlog project. It only ran the XS for our purposes but
you may find the details of SW and HW informative. See:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Educational_Blogger_Project#Beta_Server_Hardware_and_Software_Details
and follow the links for more info. Not for the faint of heart!

FYI I'm overdue for an EduBlog update. We did get kids to create a new
blog within our Moodle. I need to follow up and see if they can create
one on blogger.com or if we can make their Moodle blog public. More later.

Thanks,

Greg S

***************
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 08:29:27 +1000 From: Pia Waugh <greebo at pipka.org>
Subject: Re: [Server-devel] Ubuntu XS To: Michael Stone
<michael at laptop.org> Cc: Jeff Waugh <jeff at waughpartners.com.au>, XS
Devel <server-devel at lists.laptop.org> Message-ID:
<20080817222927.GV11951 at node.waugh.id.au> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=us-ascii Hi Michael, <quote who="Michael Stone">
 > > Uruguay already uses a Debian-basex XS (which is quite different from
 > > Martin's) and which includes some MAC-address filtering technology.
 > > (They've also expressed great interest in expanding this technology
into
 > > a full 802.11i/802.1x/EAP/RADIUS authentication system, which seems
like
 > > it might be of mutual interest.)
 > >
 > > Greg Smith and Emiliano Pastorino could probably give you some good
 > > introductions if you'd like to try to collaborate with LATU.

That would be great! Are they both on this list?

Cheers,
Pia

-- OLPC Australia http://olpc.org.au/ Linux Australia
http://linux.org.au/ Open Source Industry Australia http://osia.net.au/