[Server-devel] ext2resize?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Thu Aug 21 13:01:35 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Joshua N Pritikin <jpritikin at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 05:24:48PM -0700, Nifty Egg Mitch wrote:
>> >
>> > Perhaps it's not packaged for fedora or included in a different
>> > package? `yum search ext2` shows some candidates...
>>
>> $ rpm -qf `which resize2fs`
>> e2fsprogs-1.40.4-2.fc8
>
> Ah, OK.
>
> I'm coming from Debian, so I need to get up to speed on yum.

For the most part packages have the same names on all Linux distros.
There are exceptions to prove the rule but all draw from the same
Linux, GNU, BSD, X11, Gnome, etc. sources...

I am not a Debian expert so....
Review the Debian package tool set.

    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html

Start with an update... something like:

   apt-get update

Then you should be able to do something like:

   apt-get e2fsprogs

Scanning the above URL, like yum you can search to see what package
delivered what file
and you can also search the repository.

Debian package management is on a par with other distros...

In some cases you may find that a local package will build an RPM.
SuSE  has a tool 'alien' toe2fsprogs import alien package but keep the
install data base
in sync.

The point is to install packages with one tool set so the system can be managed.

FWIW, yum is built on top of RPM.... so yum applies to RPM based distros.

--
 T o m M i t c h e l l
 mitch-at-niftyegg-dot-com