[Server-devel] config file mess

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 00:33:42 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Joshua N Pritikin <jpritikin at pobox.com> wrote:
> I updated to testing. The GIT stuff is great.

Did your configuration survive? Any _broken_ symlinks? Things still work?

> However, why is
> xs-commit-change so slow?

It's not slow for me -- in relative terms. Definitely ~1s each call here.

If you are used to git's normal blazing speeds, a couple of things get
in the way...

 - /etc is a large directory. git is optimised to keep track of all or
most of the files it sees...

 - The ops will mostly be on cold-cache.

 - The python wrapper imposes ~1s startup costs... I did draft it in
shell, but a shell metachar escapes are safer/saner in python, and I'm
not out to win a speed race with this, so...

Let me know if you see it significantly slower than ~1s

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com