[Server-devel] wvdial woes

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Tue Aug 19 06:06:38 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 06:38:53PM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 01:21:11PM +0530, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Enable pppd debug, configure syslog to capture the debug lines, and
> examine why the disconnection occurs.

Oh! I didn't think to check the syslog.conf stuff.

There is something strange going on. I have a simple set up. There are
only two important network interfaces. I have a wired network connected
to a WRT54GL wireless router, and I have a USB CDMA modem.

The USB modem works fine at long as my wired network is disconnected. As
soon as I connect the WRT54GL, the something is running ifdown/ifup on
ppp about every 5 seconds. When I disconnect the wired network, things
return to normal (ppp stays up). eth0 has a static address. dhcp is
running on eth0 to assign an address to the WRT54GL.

Also, /etc/resolv.conf isn't being written by pppd, but it is easy
enough to do that myself for now.

Suggestions?