[Server-devel] F9 port

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 18 14:04:43 EDT 2008

Jerry Vonau wrote:
> Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 4:49 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
>>> Well, I received the AA's. As a quick test I plugged them into my F9 box,
>>> after using the olpc ifcfg-files as a template, with very little fiddling I
>>> think I have them running under F9. I'll post the diff later.
>>> More testing when the xo gets here, or my friend with a laptop.
>> Excellent. If you have a normal laptop, you'll need the recent 802.11s
>> kernel modules.
>>
>>> What does need work is the network_config file, and the idea of running it
>>> on boot, you need to pass the server_number to the script right?
>>> Can't do that on boot, and by default on F9 and the livecd there is no
>>> ifcfg-eth0 file to work with anyway.
>> Here are the challenges:
>>
>>  - network_config runs on firstboot, and can be re-run later if
>> network interfaces are added/removed
>>
> Think if the udev rule use different names from the default names, then
> the devices won't flip around. ie msh0=mesh0 eth1=lan using something like:
> KERNEL=="eth*", ATTR{address}=="00:52:8b:d5:04:48", NAME="lan"
>
> Then the ifcfg-files could use the new alias names.
> Thoughts?
>

>>  - network_config sets up
>>    - eth0 for the WAN
>>    - ethN where N>0 and the interface is wired as LAN ports
>>    -  the ethX/mshX pairs as LAN+Mesh ports
>>    - and appropriate bridging across the LAN ports, routing/NAT'ting
>> between LAN and WAN

Well, that is interesting.... if I boot with rhgb enabled, network start
fails horribly... Disabling rhgb, things work perfect. :-)

Think the above idea of installing an alias of the real devices to use
via udev, for the ifcfg files should work. If I can set the alias of the
devices that are in use, then the config files for the network layout
could be fixed. The names of the ifcfg files become static,
mesh1 mesh2 mesh3,<mshX ethX> wless1, wless2, wless3,
wired1 wan1, wan2(?), bridges would remain as is. Feedback?

> This there a reason for the multi-bridges? Could you not just add the
> msh devices to a single bridge and adjust the subnetmask to fit?
> Just wondering...
>
> On a side note can I get the output of "brctl show", "ip route",
> "iwconfig" from a running installation, to compare with please.
> The debugging web page is a good start, but lacking the bridging info,
> you really need to see both the routing and bridging to get a better
> picture.
>
>>  - udev scripts so that once an ethX/mshX is set, things work well
>> even if the machine boots w/o the AA, or if the AA is plugged _after_
>> we've booted
>>
> 75-persistent-net-generator.rules takes care of the naming, what you
> want is an auto ifup <dev> with the plugging in of the usb <dev>?

On my test box, installing a second wired nic was automatically given
eth3 after configuring the mesh setup previously. Think all I need to do
is parse the 70-persistent-net.rules for msh, eth matching on the mac
address to use for the bases of the alias name.

Jerry