[Server-devel] A simple signed bundle/directory trust scheme for the XS

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Wed Aug 13 15:47:23 EDT 2008

-----

>>>  * What security
>>> properties are you trying to check?
>>
>> Signed by the NOC, not changed.
>>

> Why not encrypt the partition on the usb-stick? Not too sure what all
> that would involve, just some food for thought.

Caution,  strong encryption is not legal in all the world.
Better to just use signed RPMs and perhaps hand verifiable checksums.

Key point: RPMs can be re-signed.

Some of the most in need parts of the world are places where "trust"
is most fragile.   I suspect that digital signatures and checksums can
be used to keep all the OLPC processes as reliable, open and
transparent as possible.  Encryption implies a deep lack of trust to
me.  Signed files permits trust and also verification.  Also the
ability to "extract and verify without a secret" the content of any
package might be important in a troubled region.

pickup, verify, test and if their policy desires re-sign the packages
for local, regional use.

Fragment from the man page:

"Signatures:

    rpm {-K | --checksig} [signature-options] PACKAGE_FILE...

    rpm {--addsign | --resign} PACKAGE_FILE... "

So "signed by the NOC, and not changed" is possible to do. The
regional NOC may need to manage the secret half of their keys and
distribute the public half of their but that is less of a problem and
more trusting and open than full encryption.

--
 T o m M i t c h e l l
 mitch-at-niftyegg-dot-com