[Server-devel] Need help: mounting usb devices on headless machines

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 10 21:19:57 EDT 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:52 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Don't know about Fedoristas, but on Debian and derivatives this is what
>> I do for a backup disk that is identified by UUID and then backed up to
>> ... all when plugged in ... beep ... wait for rsync ... beep beep ...
>> pull it out.
>>        echo -en '\007' > /dev/tty1
>
> Well, it *seems* that I cannot get a bell to sound on any of the
> systems I can get my hands on today. 2 XS (F7, based) desktop
> machines, 3 different laptops (running F9, Hardy), no bell on
> ambiguous autocompletion, no audible response to echo -en '\007' on
> any tty. Nothing obvious in termcap/terminfo (I'm not too handy with
> those but no 'vb' that I can see).
>
> Hmmm. pcspkr.ko is loaded in all of them.
>
> And the web is full of advise on how to *disable* it, so I guess
> modern linuxen have disabled it en-masse, using some trick I can't
> spot right now. The obvious place is termcap/terminfo, but nothing
> there... Ah, grumble.
>
> ideas?

Some earlier versions of Fedora including Fedora 7 had it disabled in
the kernel level because of the number of complaints and bug reports we
got. I am not sure there is a easy way to enable that again in those
kernels.

I think it was enabled again by default in Fedora 8 along with detailed
instructions in the release notes to disable it which helped. That is
the same for Fedora 9 too.

Rahul