[Server-devel] DNS & Connectivity Issues

Glen Roberts glen at venango.org
Fri Aug 1 18:46:36 EDT 2008

Today just after noon (edt) our Qwest internet connection (not the one the EDU server is on) went down. I was in the middle of upgrading the DNS servers so it frustrated that task enormously.

Qwest seemed to have the service more or less restored by 4:30 PM or so. At that time I noticed an email from AT&T saying that they had monitored outages on our AT&T circuit (the one the EDU server is on). Apparently this was of an intermittent nature.

Apparently Verizon had a fiber cut somewhere....

The result is that DNS was probably down for 5+ hours and the connection otherwise intermittent. There may still be DNS issues but I am too tired to dig too deeply until tomorrow. 65.118.27.2 was probably configured as a secondary dns in /etc/resolv.conf on edublog. It might be better to change that to 208.67.222.222 (opendns.org) as 65.118.27.2 is no long active.

Glen