[Server-devel] Server Spec (blueprints) Comments

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 12:20:45 EDT 2008

Hi Martin,

Thanks for writing up the "Blueprints" for two new XS features:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Roadmap#v0.3

Let me know if there are any others to review.

Also, is that the right place for them? Are they in 0.3 and is it
"released" with both those features implemented? When a new release
comes out, maybe we should note that its released in the road map and
link to its release notes?

Great job describing scenarios and motivation on both. That's key
element in understanding the motivation and use of the features!

Some comments and questions:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Blueprints:Datastore_Simple_Backup_and_Restore

1 - What files are backed up from the XO?

2 - Is there any GUI on the XO for this feature? Is it always on or
always off or how do you know when it is moving files from the XO view?

3 - How many XOs can backup at the same time? If they start to swamp the
BW during class, is there any way to know that and possibly prevent it
if needed? Looks like the traffic control script does some of that but
could use more details on the algorithm.

4 - Can you set the "quota" per XO? What is the default? How about max
age? Do you turn this feature on with the XS and what is the interface
to it on XS?

On http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Blueprints:OTP_root_passwords

1 - My only question is if we have a lead customer for this. I would
like to hear Bryan's comments on it too.

Thanks for writing these up and keep them coming!

Thanks,

Greg S