[Server-devel] Collaboration between schools

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Wed Apr 30 13:25:04 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:28 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:

>  I learned more about the network built by the MED in Peru for their
>  schools.   Each school is in its own VLAN, and cannot route to the
>  other schools, only to the Internet and to MED servers.
>
>  They have good economic reasons for encouraging this, but
>  it means that inter-school collaboration will have to happen
>  through data pushed to an MED server (and won't be real-time
>  activity collaboration).

This is exactly why I wrote the
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Network_principles document.  We should tell
Peru that their network infrastructure does not allow collaboration
between schools, not feel compelled to solve their problems for them
by engineering some fancy multihop proxy system to live on MED
servers.  In the future, they can create tunnels through the MED
servers if they wish to allow collaboration.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )