[Server-devel] Collaboration between schools

Greg Smith (gregmsmi) gregmsmi at cisco.com
Wed Apr 30 12:49:04 EDT 2008

Hi John et al,

One minor clarification.

I think you mean L3 (IP) VPN (virtual private network) not VLAN (virtual
LAN). Let me know if that is not right as you can send an IP packet from
one VLAN to another but not from one VPN to another (except in special
cases).

BTW sounds like people have spent a lot of time at customers lately. If
you have time a brief write up of what is important (or not) at each
customer would be very helpful.

e.g. Peru - Inter-school collaboration not important, managing school
servers is a challenge (need GUI?), off the shelf HW is not good fo XS
and need customer box, XO updates are a problem, what build of XO and XS
they are on etc.

You can post that to the wiki (e.g. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Uruguay
and http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Peru) or just send it to the list and I'll
copy it over.

If you can also bring back a technical contact we can use that to come
up with a list of questions which you can run by the customers. Then we
can put customer names next to each item on the roadmap and in general
verify the priorities of the roadmap with the customers.

I don't mean to pile on the work. Just want to make sure we use your
unique position of having direct contact with implementers to focus the
development.

Thanks,

Greg S
******
I learned more about the network built by the MED in Peru for their
schools.   Each school is in its own VLAN, and cannot route to the
other schools, only to the Internet and to MED servers.

They have good economic reasons for encouraging this, but
it means that inter-school collaboration will have to happen
through data pushed to an MED server (and won't be real-time
activity collaboration).

wad