[Server-devel] Network Provisioning

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 23:33:48 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:20 PM, John Watlington <wad at media.mit.edu> wrote:
> > if we see a 7-AP setup, it will be there to support either a large
> > number of laptops or a location with obstacles that needs many
> > antennaes. In any case, it will support laptops mostly peering w
> > each other.
> >

>  Wrong.   Right now all collaboration moves through the ejabberd server.
>  We hope to change that, but it won't happen for roughly a year.

Ugh. I thought ejabberd was providingthe directory service, and that
XMPP was smart enough to do direct p2p messaging where possible.

>  But a school of 250 students will need five access points.
>  It only takes two laptops to saturate a channel (OK, maybe one).
>  So you are saying that squid can't keep up with feeding
>  ten streams at 11+ Mb/s each ?

Hmmm... You are right on that Squid can serve that w/o problems.

Still, wth will we *have* that merits streaming at 11Mb/s? Even if
youtube is a big hit, the data sizes are a lot smaller. From a
different perspective, what data will the XOs consume or store at that
rate?

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com