[Server-devel] Mesh connectivity from regular WiFi gear

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Thu Apr 17 16:40:53 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 09:32 -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
> >  Also, do we have wikipage of tested APs?
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wireless_Access_Point_Compatibility
>
> This page just reports results for standard use, not in the context of
> a school-server scenario, which would merit additional testing.

FYI, these are mostly "home" devices. These may well work for a couple
of devices. Expect failures/performance drop when doing more devices
doing a lot of sessions (Skype/bittorrent) by running out of memory
and/or get overheated.

Scalable options:
- let ap bridge
- let XS do nat/route/cache

Securing channel/auth drops performance of ap

- in wnic encryption (driver/firmware issue)
- usage of vpn (ipsec/openvpn)
- hardware crypto support in ap or or in the XS

kind regards,
Marten