[Server-devel] [sugar] sugar roadmap

Patrick Dubroy pdubroy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 20:59:33 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
[snip]
>  True, I'm afraid too that at the short and medium term hackers won't
>  be scratching their itches in Sugar. But is also true that for many
>  people, making education more accessible is one of the main itches in
>  their lives. Those people are there, but will take time to pick them
>  from the crowd.

Has there been any thought in trying to position Sugar as a more
general-purpose desktop? I don't see it as being particularly
child-specific. It might also appeal to people who are looking for a
simple, no-nonsense interface, especially to install on older machines
or some of these new sub-notebooks that are getting popular.

>  >  Another option would be to create a version of Sugar that appeals to
>  >  programmers. But I can't imagine creating such a version that wouldn't
>  >  require a lot of programming resources.

So here's another question: are any of the Sugar developers using it
as their desktop shell? I was thinking of giving that try. If all the
Sugar developer were eating their own dogfood, I'll bet you'd get a
programmer-friendly system in a hurry. In fact, I don't see why it
would be considered to be programmer-friendly already -- it's got
terminal and a text editor, what more do you need? ;-)

Anyhow, speaking as someone who has only very recently gotten involved
with the project, I can say that the Sugar interface was one of the
most appealing things to me. I'm sure there are other  potential
contributors out there who would be attracted for the same reasons.

Pat
--
Patrick Dubroy
http://dubroy.com/blog - on programming, usability, and hci