[Server-devel] XS server: raid 6 configuration with build 160, 161, 162 not ok

Stefan Reitz stefan_w_reitz at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 8 11:17:08 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 10:46 -0400, John Watlington wrote:

> What do you think is going on?

No clue.  This properly discovered and partitioned/formatted the RAID
under build 150 ?
I'm surprised that it worked in 150!

I've got to go back and do a 150 install.
Right now I think it probably didn't do a RAID but also didn't cause problems finishing with four drives (and thus didn't raise any concerns in this direction). I only noticed because the setup failed.
I am still clueless what might be causing the 'FATAL: module md not found' error.
Fedora 7 dvd and live cd don't show that behaviour (they - or I - screw up later in the setup process ;-).

> Anybody ever tried this using a different mobo / sata controller
> (mine is the on-board nVidia MCP61)?

Not at this end.

I think an automated partitioning scheme resembling something like this:
1 hdd - single drive install
2 hdds - raid 1
3 hdds - raid 5
4 hdds - raid 6
5 hdds - raid 6 + hot spare (or let the 5th hdd be a raid6 member - give the admin a choice)
would be something to aim for.
Raid6 with one bad hdd is no performance problem, with two bad hdds and no hot spare things get really slow.

Maybe give the user a chance to override these setup defaults.

Stefan