[Server-devel] [OLPC Networking] RSSI value questions

Oliver Mattos oliver at mattos.co.uk
Fri Apr 4 04:39:14 EDT 2008

why exactly is an XS needed at all - what about just a mesh of laptops with
no XS.  I agree then there are NO refrence points at all, so orientation and
world-position of the generated map can't be determined, but the rest of the
info still remains useful.  The XS is simply another node - there is no
reason it should be required.

In terms of an algorithm for calculating positions from a series of metrics
with no known points, the best I can think of is successive approximation.
Basicly, place all the nodes randomly on a map, attach "virtual springs"
between nodes that have connectivity, where the springs ideal length
is determined by the signal strength/other metric, and springgyness is
determined by the metrics margin of error, and then do a physics simulation
of where they all end up when released.   Using that algorithm, multiple
types of metric can be used to generate the same map.

After generating the map once, future generations would require many fewer
iterations of the physics simulation, therefore less processing time even
for big meshes, so it would probably be possible to update the map in real
time as new results come in.

There are quite a few optimisations for the above, for example
"replusion" springs with a negative force could be used for nodes that are
currently close together on the map but have no connectivity. -  that would
provide much more accurate mapping in sparse meshes where some laptops have
2 or fewer neighbors.