[Server-devel] [OLPC Networking] RSSI value questions

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Thu Apr 3 16:58:50 EDT 2008

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Aaron Huslage wrote:

> How do currently available commercial wireless topology mappers do this?

I don't have direct experiance (the brother of a friend goes around
installing these things, so my knowledge is third hand)

but my understanding is that they deploy their access points and they
triangulate the location of the wireless devices with a minimum of three
access points deployed (more if more coverage is needed). I know that
calibration is needed (something like walking the building with a known
laptop after it's setup)

radio direction finding to get a bearing from two antennas is not bleeding
edge technology. It can require specialized hardware, but not always.

David Lang