[Server-devel] Server software status

Juliano Bittencourt juliano at lec.ufrgs.br
Tue Sep 4 18:53:41 EDT 2007

     Hi folks,

      My name is Juliano Bittencourt and I work in the OLPC trial in
Porto Alegre, Brazil. Our school is using the XO since March, 24 and
today we have 260 laptops being used. We have a 8Mbit cable connection
to the Internet, and I use a small Fedora Core 6 server to share it with
the laptops  using iptables. We also run some php webapps on the server
to support the work being done in the classroom.
      We are planning to change the server hardware in the school on
Friday (holliday in Brazil), so I'm preparing the new machine to replace
the old one.
      Today I have tested the XS Server software( build 127) for the
first time, and started wondering if it is stable enough to be tested it
in the school environment. The services the server should provide are no
big deal. Just Internet connection sharing and LAMP.
       What you think guys, can I install it on the server and deploy it
on the school?

       best,

       Juliano