[Server-devel] dvd reader / 2nd harddrive for raid1

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Wed Jun 6 12:01:48 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 19:31, Holger Levsen wrote:
> will the servers have a dvd drive? That would be very useful, so the
> servers could be deployed with a reinstall dvd, which contains all software
> (so (re-)installation without net would be possible and we wouldnt have to
> worry to squeeze everything on a CD).

> Also, will the servers have one or two harddrives? Two would be nice to
> setup RAID1 for greater failure tolerance.

Can anyone enlighten me on the current status of the plannings? The second
question is not as important currently as the first one...

Also I noted one problem with the approach of installing from a live-cd: after
the installation the machine needs to be reseted, and during reset, the CD
needs to be ejected.

This cannot be done at the end of the installation, as the live-system is
still running from CD and it cannot be done after boot, as then the CD boots.
(Which it should do, as it could be the first boot for installation.)

Currently I have no idea how to solve this best. But I'll put it in the
background, to be processed by my mind when there are spare cycles :)

regards,
	Holger