[Server-devel] server setup and applications

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Mon Apr 23 15:43:02 EDT 2007

Hi,

this mail is mostly ment as a summary of my understanding, so that I than can
add these details to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Server_Services and
implement them.

The following apps are needed on the server, please comment or ask why I
listed them, if you cannot make sense of the note-style :)

backup - see next mail :)
accounts - see next mail :)
apps:
	dns - bind?!
	transparant http-cache with squid
		http://devel.squid-cache.org/squid3-ipv6/
	mesh portal
		set up described in http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Establishing_a_Mesh_Portal
		rpms at http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/olpc/xo-mpp-server-0.1-1.noarch.rpm
		includes dhcpd
	apache2 for content, i.e.
		olpc-library is packaged (its on the xo images), where are the rpms?
	mail-server setup for XOs? if yes, we need to discuss more details :)
		or use mail within $moodle?
	$moodle (see next mail)
			mysql
	server based gcompris?
	munin-node for monitoring

To not interfere with with existing names in the local DNS of the schools, the
server should have a common name in every school, which should be used
nowhere, something like "olpc_server". We should define this *now* :)

We also discussed (in a brief phone conference between jg, cjg and me) to use
more abstract service names (like olpc_proxy, olpc_mail, olpc_moodle?!). I
think this is useful, to be prepared for sane big setups :) If so, we should
define those names *now*...

IPv6 timeline. Do we care about IPv6 *right now*? Or can we neglect it for the
moment? I'm fine with either but need^wwould like to know :)

regards,
	Holger