[OLPC Security] Bitfrost and dual-boot

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Fri May 30 00:01:03 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Bobby Powers <bobbypowers at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 12:39 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:

>> * Windows runs from an SD card, but there is not much space left on
>> that SD card to store user files.  User files are stored in NAND at
>> the moment.  In the dual-boot scenario which OFW2 will enable, we will
>> either partition the NAND (likely also expand amount on onboard NAND),
>> or limit Windows to the storage on the SD card (probably necessitating
>> an increase in the size of the SD card).  None of this has been
>> decided yet.
>
> Did I miss something?  I was under the impression that the XO uses JFFS2 on
> the NAND.  If we're worried about Windows malware messing with files on the
> NAND, won't they have to be able to mount the volume first?  I only did a
> quick google search, but I didn't find any Windows JFFS2 implementation.

First of all, malware can contain filesystem drivers. It's been done.
In this case, probably an existing Open Firmware or Linux kernel
jffs2 driver would be made to run in userspace.

Second of all, there won't be any need to worry about this issue.
Windows is using the NAND for itself. There is nearly zero chance
that Microsoft will be willing to share the NAND. It's about the same
chance as Microsoft being leveled by a large meteorite.

We'd be very lucky to keep Open Firmware at all. I can well
imagine even worse than losing Open Firmware.