[OLPC Security] Chilling effects?

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Tue Mar 18 21:33:44 EDT 2008

Mark,

> Is this the David Chaum?

I believe so, based on circumstantial evidence and a brief examination
of kuleuven.be's public records.

> Anyone here know what chilling effects they're thinking of?

I have no positive knowledge; only the twin experiences of being asked
many times: "Can my activity do X?" and replying:

        No, because...

        ...but since X is really only a means to an end E...

        ...you can largely satisfy E by doing Y or Z.

and of trying to explain the surprising consequences of the fact that we
desire to build software that treats user-generated data as confidential
until notified otherwise.

At any rate, I look forward to finding out what they have to say. At
least they've got a catchy title. :)

Michael