[OLPC Security] G1G1: Security, to enable or disable...

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 22:56:43 EDT 2008

I continue to be uncomfortable that we are sending out restricted /
locked-down machines without a clear need.  The arguments made so far for
this are

 1. "Getting G1G1 people to test security steps"
 2. "Protecting G1G1 donors from installing anything but signed builds"
 3. "Showing a pretty boot screen"

3. represents a bug that should be fixed.  Tying pretty boot to
machine-lockdown is arbitrary.

2. assumes that this is the best result for G1G1 donors, which seems
unlikely to me.  Discovering how to update to anything but the most
aggressively promoted builds is already a sign of tech savvy.  This
protection would still effectively be in place for the vast majority of
users for whom it matters if we aggressively recommended to users (say,
after a couple of days of use) that they get a developers key if they want
full control of their machines for any reason.

1. is an interesting argument.  As with 2, it would still hold if recipients
were actively encouraged to get developers keys if they have any interest in
having full control of their machines (indeed you could say that they we
would have a much better test of the dev-key acquisition process, which
currently works more clearly in large batches for countries than for
individuals).

SJ