[OLPC Security] Bitfrost and dual-boot

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Jun 3 17:08:10 EDT 2008

On 30.05.2008 08:34, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I can't imagine why. LinuxBIOS (now coreboot) didn't.
>>> Even EFI didn't. Your wishes are not their wishes.
>>>
>> Albert, I'm not talking to you any more until you start making sense.
>> Linux BIOS never booted any Windows other than 2000 (with ADLO), and

That's not really true. coreboot (former LinuxBIOS) does boot XP and
Vista with the right payload. I should know it, I'm one of the coreboot
developers. Granted, that knowledge is not spread far and wide.

>> EFI isn't Open Source.

That's not entirely accurate. There are EFI implementations which are
Open Source, but EFI is just a presentation layer and performs no
hardware init, so you're back to square one.

> You think the PC vendors care that EFI isn't Open Source?
> You think the PC vendors care that BIOS isn't Open Source?
> Really, they have NO desire for Open Source firmware.

Indeed. Some companies say that any public code for hardware init poses
a threat to their intellectual property and/or is baaad for various
made-up reasons.

> That's your desire, not theirs. Do not assume they think like you.

I can tell you how many hardware vendors think:
- Does it reduce cost? If not, scratch the idea.
- Does it make the lawyers nervous? If yes, scratch the idea. In
general, lawyers of hardware vendors get nervous once somebody suggests
to publish anything, regardless whether the content is obvious or not.
- Is it still compatible with DOS and any and all legacy operating
systems ever invented (including Windows 95/98/ME)? If not, scratch the
idea unless your intended market (high-end gaming rigs or somesuch) will
never want that compatibility. This is evident from the mainboards you
can actually buy with EFI.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel