[OLPC Security] [Techteam] Crypto export and python-crypto

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Jun 3 10:41:40 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Jameson Chema Quinn
<jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu> wrote:
> On formats, I agree in principle. But as your own email points out, there
> are already two different signature formats invented for the XO, because of
> specifics about what is to be signed. If these do not work for my needs, I
> do not see why I should not invent another.

Exactly because we already have two, we should avoid having *three*!

It would be better to patch one of these so we only have *one*.  (And
what are the two formats you are referring to?)

> The OpenPGP attack you mention has to do with encryption, not signatures.

Please read page 25 of
ftp://ftp.rsasecurity.com/pub/pkcs/pkcs-1/pkcs-1v2-1.pdf.  Although
there is (yet) no practical attack, it (like MD5) is not recommended
for new applications.

You are wrong. http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/jar/jar.html#Digital%20Signatures

> not allow for granting privileges to secondary keys, which means that

You can have any number of .SF signature files, signing any
combination of the contents.

> user; they interact poorly with differential versioning storage; and they do

They in fact interact quite well.  See
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_updater#Application_updater

> not allow for unsigned content in a signed bundle, which makes localization

I do not believe this to be the case.

> more of a pain. Any one of those problems I could have lived with, the three
> together seem to me like a good enough reason for changing a format. And

And in the absence of any of the three?

> The contents manifest specification does not fit my needs either.

I'll let this pass, for now, but I explicitly designed it to fit both
the OS and activity update case, so I find this statement puzzling.  I
think what you mean is, "it does not solve *all* my problems for me",
and this is because it is not designed to.  It is just one part of a
solution.  But I prefer the JAR file format for activities anyway, so
I don't think it's worth belaboring this.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )