[OLPC Security] Seamless Lessons & Security (commentary)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Jul 8 06:37:47 EDT 2008

Am 08.07.2008 um 11:57 schrieb Toby Murray:

> On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 11:47 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Isn't that like saying that the goal of airport security is to
>>> ensure
>>> that noone can board without showing ID.
>>>
>>> No it's not. The goal of airport security is to ensure that noone
>>> can
>>> board who is deemed unsafe to allow to fly.
>>
>> Right. But Bitfrost is not about airport security.
>
> No but airport security demonstrates that intelligent people can fall
> victim to thinking they're providing security when what they're really
> providing is security theatre.
>
> The dialog/notification that Ivan cited above is an example of
> security
> theatre.

I don't think this discussion is fruitful without looking at the
actual threat model.

The threat that was discussed is that a malicious activity could
launch other activities on its own, resulting in DOS. The dialog (or
any required user interaction) to me seems adequate to prevent this
attack. Do you disagree?

If you see other threats in this scenario that are not otherwise
addressed by Bitfrost then please be specific about them, and we'll
have a separate discussion.

- Bert -