[OLPC Security] Some anti-theft questions

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Tue Jan 22 14:45:47 EST 2008

Hi,

   > One easy way to change the RTC date is to remove the watch-battery
   > that powers it.  I am curious what the intended behavior is in the
   > case of watch-battery failure, since this is known to be a common
   > hardware failure mode (the lifetime failure rate is 100%!).

When OFW finds an unset/invalid date, it automatically expires all
leases (both activation and developer), which leaves the laptop unable
to boot.  It will still boot into signed activation images, though, and
those images can perform NTP sync as well as writing an activation lease
in order to get the laptop booting again.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>