[OLPC Security] Grey Markets: differentiation of legitimately purchased laptops

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 16:53:21 EDT 2007

On 10/20/07, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> On 10/20/07, Albert Cahalan <acahalan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jameson "Chema" Quinn writes:
> >
> > > as a solo machine, the main attraction of the XO is the political
> > > statement, not the screen or mesh or low-power-consumption.
> >
> > It's none of that.
> >
> > I know of one guy who plans to get a pair of them for his kids.
> > He'd like to get 6 to 8 for his extended family, but the price
> [...]
> > I know of multiple female nerds who want laptops for themselves.
> > They love the cuteness. Most have expressed a desire for pink.
>
> The XO in its current state will disappoint these buyers.  We should
> go out of the way to ensure that these are *not* the people we target
> with G1G1.

I wouldn't worry about that.

For the former, his kids will be happy. They only miss out
on the school server features. (if it works for kids in Peru,
it will work for his kids too)

For the later, I'm guessing Ubuntu will get installed. It may
be that the original (colorful) iBook would be a better fit,
but those got discontinued and were a bit too big anyway.
When I say "nerd", think "EE" or "reverse engineer". There
is no misunderstanding of capability.