[OLPC Security] Grey Markets: differentiation of legitimately purchased laptops

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 12:26:18 EDT 2007

Jameson "Chema" Quinn writes:

> as a solo machine, the main attraction of the XO is the political
> statement, not the screen or mesh or low-power-consumption.

It's none of that.

I know of one guy who plans to get a pair of them for his kids.
He'd like to get 6 to 8 for his extended family, but the price
might stop him. (perhaps he is your greymarket buyer) As these
would be going to multiple kids, all the kid features matter.
He likes the ruggedness mainly, but also the mesh and screen.

(it's not "solo" because most families have multiple kids)

I know of multiple female nerds who want laptops for themselves.
They love the cuteness. Most have expressed a desire for pink.
The tech (screen, mesh, low power) is strongly desired, but the
main thing is the attractive form factor and color. The XO fits
in a large purse. An ugly black Dell is just not the same.

The closest I've seen to "political statement" was one of the
female nerds trying to justify the price. Helping bad-off kids
is a minor plus for her.