[OLPC Security] Grey Markets: differentiation of legitimately purchased laptops

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Tue Oct 16 11:55:42 EDT 2007

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> I envisioned buyers who know that the machine is not legitimate, but who
> want a reasonably legitimate appearance. For them, repainting doesn't
> have to be perfect, just good enough not to raise suspicions of other
> people passing by.

At which point the "where is this likely" mitigation starts to come into
play.  In the developed world, a painted laptop might not attract enough
scrutiny that anyone would really look at it (but if it were discovered
would have a pretty strong negative reaction (after all, you obviously
*know* you are using a "covered up" laptop)), while in the developing
world it would be sufficiently rare to see a donor laptop that people
might scrutinize it more closely.
> Ideally, making illegitimate laptops look legitimate should cost the bad
> guys enough money to kill any possible profit. Unfortunately, that is
> not possible for the XO without removing all repair options and/or
> raising the manufacturing cost significantly.

Without some serious reworking that we can't achieve this late in the
process, we can't make it impossible, what we want is an inexpensive,
non-disruptive way to make it obvious which laptops are which, so that
misappropriation becomes more involved and more likely to be uncovered.
Hopefully we can make a small change that makes the effort significantly
greater for the bad actors.

Take care,
Mike