[OLPC Security] Grey Markets: differentiation of legitimately purchased laptops

travis anderson-bond gyegreene at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 22:58:29 EDT 2007

> Regarding the 2-for-1 program going live in November, we will be handing
> out laptops which are identical to the laptops being handed out to
> children in the developing world.
>
> different, possession of one type would be a badge of honour (those who
> help support), while the other would be a badge of shame (those who have
> supported the grey market and theft of children's laptops).  That
> approach apparently was not feasible, so we wound up with a situation
> where our own program may be opening up a grey market.

[snipped]

Black markets are based on a supply-and-demand imbalance.

Thus, if the worry is that the "student" versions are going to be
stolen -- then flood the [developed, industrialized] market with the
identical model.  The "thank you" versions would still have their own
sparkle, being limited edition -- but of course our concern isn't the
theft of the **donors' machines**. but of the students'.

To clarify:  the U.S. (and affiliated) market doesn't have to be truly
**saturated** with the "student" laptops -- just enough, at a
reasonably price-point, to make it a financial dis-incentive to buy a
stolen one.  (Why buy a black market OLPC machine for $500 -- in
uncertain condition -- off of e-bay when you can get one for $350(??)
direct from the source...?)

The added advantage is that it required no re-tooling, re-badging, or
tracking or monitoring of any sort:  the market forces will take care
of it all.

I realize that my suggestion should stand on its own merit.  FWIW,
however, I **am** nearly done with a Ph.D. in Criminology -- so I've
done reading on the dynamics of crime and such...   :)

Regarding other posts:  Sadly, it's not just an issue of brigands and
corrupt village chieftans stealing the laptops:  what about the
**child** selling the laptop, to earn that month's food money...?

--Travis (Anderson-Bond)