[OLPC Security] A mom's worries

Marcus Leech mleech at nortel.com
Thu Nov 29 23:33:58 EST 2007

Albert Cahalan wrote:
> Neither of those will work to attack the XO. You're spreading FUD.
> You haven't even described a semi-plausible exploit.

I dunno, I always *assume* that something with a connection to the
outside world is exploitable
  in *some* way.  The Web activity is one such thing that *could* (I'm
NOT saying that it *does*)
  have exploitable vulnerabilities in it.

I don't think it's FUD to suggest that software isn't perfect, and some
of those imperfections can
  sometimes be exploited to violate security policies.  Fact of life.
> Currently there isn't a web server on the XO.
>
> Passwords are a non-issue. Physical access is the control.
> The ssh server won't allow access to an account without a password,
> so that's actually better than the strongest password you can
> possibly make. As for "su", that can be stopped in a number of
> ways. (enable the "wheel" group, file-on-file mount to make "su"
> be an empty file, etc.)
>
> Remember: every time you start an activity, a new throw-away user
> account is created just for running that activity. A previous
> implementation used vserver, which is OS-level virtualization
> similar to Solaris zones and FreeBSD jails. A future implementation
> could go back to that, or could switch to throw-away SE Linux
> security contexts. No matter the implementation details, this
> type of security prevents an attacker from messing with the
> user's files. Changing .bashrc just isn't going to work.

In the particular case of the XO, no, changing bashrc can't be made to
work, because as you
  point out, each activity comes up in a "fresh" user context that gets
thrown away after
  each invocation.

> If it happens, it's a minor annoyance. The spam-bot dies when
> the user closes the infected activity. Always remember that
> the activities do not get access to the home directory. This is
> not regular old UNIX security, where everything the user runs
> will get full access to the user's files.

But any infected activity gets access to system resources in the same
way as the
  "host" user.   Last time I checked, rainbow/service.py didn't do
anything special
  to try and really hunt-down any background processes created by an
activity,
  so to say that the spam-bot (or any other unintended malware-type-thing)
  dies when the activity gets cleaned up is horribly misleading.

> Getting out to the general OS would require a very serious
> kernel bug. These are extremely rare. In the unlikely event
> that such a bug started causing problems, the firmware will
> let you install a fix. Firmware replacement, in case you were
> thinking of it, is blocked by hardware before the OS gains
> control of the CPU.

Getting out to the general OS requires nothing more than an exploitable
bug in the application
  code, and doesn't require a bug in the kernel.  But the result runs as
an ordinary
  (in this case, disposable) user.