[OLPC Security] A mom's worries

alien alien at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 29 17:07:53 EST 2007

> The notion of malware for *nix systems (including Linux) isn't all
> *that* far-fetched.

Totally. I've worked on lots of incident response cases involving hacked
*nix systems, from botnets to DDOS Trojans to straightforward data
thefts. The main different between these and Windows incidents is that
the Linux exploits were consistently more traditional-- ie they tend to
work by exploiting web servers or brute-forcing account passwords--
while in the Windows world the trend has been moving more toward
client-side exploits, phishing, etc.

Now that a large number of kids will be in possession of modified Linux
systems, I suspect we'll start seeing an increase in client-side Linux
exploits, too.

> Access as an ordinary user is all that's required (in general ) to
> set up outbound network connections, run processes in the background,
> etc. A spam-bot doesn't need root access.

Great point!