[OLPC Security] A mom's worries

alien alien at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 28 15:47:42 EST 2007

> hard to believe based on your experience with Microsoft Windows, but

I'm a security professional specializing in Unix/Linux security. Linux
isn't magic. There are plenty of issues with it.

> Viruses will be contained, and thus quite harmless.

Wow, looks like the antivirus industry is out of business.

For the past year, OLPC developers have been brushing aside issues
surrounding viruses, spyware and user/parent awareness of security by
suggesting that the XO model and code are invulnerable. This is
completely unrealistic.

To repeat that viewpoint to parents, as you just did, is like selling
someone a car and saying it will never break down. I would venture to
say that it is irresponsible and not a fair way to treat the people
whose lives you will be affecting with this device.

Please take responsibility for providing user-level safety mechanisms
with the tool you are creating. Cars are made with seatbelts for a reason.

> You can just ask to see what is on the laptop.

I would like to see a built-in, very easy-to-use interface where parents
can browse logs of web site surfing, email use and IM conversations.
Parents should have the ability to easily restrict their child's web
surfing and conversations, especially for young children, and to block
emails when they do not think the communication is appropriate.

This capability is available by default on many systems in the developed
world. Parents and teachers in the developing world should also have
access to the same types of tools. It is even more important for them,
because they have less exposure to technology and really need simple
interfaces that offer intuitive parental control.

You can't just wave your hand at a problem and make it go away. I know
the folks over at OLPC have been working very hard on the security
specifications of this system. But there is no perfect security. Viruses
and malicious software that compromise the XO will emerge. We need to be
prepared to handle that. Furthermore, providing parents and teachers
with tools that allow them to effectively supervise and create
boundaries for children online is just as important as the technical
security issues.

Sherri